The West End Mom
Our Favorite October Festivals & Events
Updated: Oct 3, 2020
While many of our favorite fall events like The Virginia State Fair and St. Benedict's Oktoberfest have been cancelled, there are still plenty of family friendly ways to celebrate fall!
Besides visiting our local orchards & pumpkin patches, here are a few of the events we are looking forward to:
1. Braehead Farm's Fall Festival Weekends - Located about an hour away in Fredericksburg, Braehead Farm has pick your own fields (including pumpkins), a farm market and special events. The Fall Festival Weekends are for 5 weekends from September 26 to October 25. The events will require pre-purchased tickets. There will be hayrides (half capacity), corn maze, an interactive game within the corn maze, a sunflower maze, and more. There is also an amazing play area with animals.
Here is how our summer visit went. For more pictures, visit my Instagram review & the "VA Farms" highlight.
2. Henley's Orchard's Henley Fest 2020: I've been looking for less crowded orchards for apple picking and I found this one in Crozet, about 1 hour & 20 minutes away from Richmond! The Henley family opened this farm in 1932. They grow nectarines, peaches & apples. The farm is open Monday through Saturday 9 - 5, and Sunday 1-5. Every Saturday in October, they are having fresh cider, hayrides, and live music. They will also have pumpkins!
3. Tom Leonard's Friday Night Movie at the Pumpkin Patch: Every Friday in October, Tom Leonard's has free family friendly movies at 7 pm in their pumpkin patch. They are playing The Dog Who Saved Halloween, Twitches, Double Double Toil & Trouble, Halloweentown, and Ghostbusters (1984).
4. Lavender Fields Herb Farm: Located in Glen Allen off Woodman Road, this lavender farm & nursery has flowers, plants & herbs. There’s a greenhouse & a farm store that sells local honey, lavender, ice cream & lavender lemonade. There's also a scenic deck overlooking the Chickahominy River. Every Saturday in October they are offering free pumpkin painting for children with a purchase of a pumpkin! They are open from 9-5.
Click here to read about our last visit to Lavender Fields Herb Farm.
5. Courthouse Creek Cider's Harvest Moon Celebration: On Saturday October 3, Courthouse Creek in Maidens is hosting a fall festival from 2-8. They are having live music, food, pumpkin picking and more. This farm & cidery is about 30 minutes from Richmond,
Click here to read about our recent trip to Courthouse Creek Cider's farm.
6. Hanover Vegetable Farm's Gourds, Goblets and Ghouls Festival - On October 10 & 11, Hanover Vegetable Farms is hosting their annual Halloween event. There will be live music, 40+ vendors, hay rides, pumpkin picking, corn maze and more!
*Masks will be required at all times that you are not eating or drinking. Masks will be required for you to ride the hay ride. This may exclude young children and those with medical conditions.
7. Maymont's Garden Glow - Garden Glow is open from October 23 through November 8, and it’s a nightly event from 6 to 10 PM. The Japanese Garden is illuminated with colorful lights, there are food trucks and activities for the kids, and they even have a Glow Bar. Golf carts take you through the grounds down to the Japanese Garden! It is a beautiful experience! Visit Maymont's website to purchase tickets. Tickets are $12 for adults, $8 for children 3-12, and 2 & under are free.
Click here to read about our experience last year. More pictures from the event are in my "Maymont" highlights!
8. Lewis Ginter's OktoberFest - On Saturday, October 24 from 11:00- 4:00, Lewis Ginter is selling timed tickets for this public event. It's free from members. There will be live music by Jackass Flats. Food and drink are available for purchase, too.
Visit my review from our July visit or check "Lewis Ginter" highlights for more pictures of the botanical garden!
9. Hanover Vegetable Farm's End of Season Bash - The date hasn't been released for this year's event, but it is usually the last weekend in October. They have food trucks, live music, drinks & family activities. Tickets are usually $2, or you can get the "pumpkin plus" ticket for $10.
Check here for more details on apple orchards & pumpkin patches.
Which fall events are you looking forward to?