We have so much to be grateful for each Independence Day, but this year feels extra special. After a year of cancellations & only small gatherings, we are so happy that our public celebrations, and fireworks, are back!
*Henrico Recreation & Parks Independence Day event 2020
Here are 6 local ways for families to celebrate this Independence Day:
1. Ashland July Fourth Parade & Celebration: Sponsored by The Hanover Arts & Activities Center, Ashland's Independence Day event begins at 11 on Sunday, July 4! The event begins with a parade - it starts at Henry Clay Elementary School and heads down Hanover Avenue towards The Hanover Arts & Activities Center. The Celebration on the lawn starts at 11:30, and there is a patriotic pet contest, an apple pie baking contest, lawn games, food, and more.
2. The Flying Squirrels' Baseball Game: Our local baseball team is hosting its annual Independence Day Celebration & Dueling Fireworks! Fireworks will be after the games on July 3 & 4. The Flying Squirrels also have a home game on Friday, July 2.
3. Fourth of July Celebration at Chesterfield Fair Grounds: Chesterfield Parks and Recreation is hosting a free Fourth of July event at the Chesterfield Fairgrounds. With gates opening at 5, you can grab food at the concessions & listen to live music. The fireworks start at dark. Make sure you bring chairs or blanket to sit on!
*Check here for more information.
4. Independence Day in Yorktown: Historic Yorktown is celebrating Independence Day from 8am to 10pm! You can participate in the 8K run, watch the patriotic parade, listen to live music, explore the local historical sites or lounge at the beach! In the evening, there will be a patriotic concert & a fireworks display over the York River.
5. Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden: Each year Lewis Ginter opens its gates for free on Independence Day. This event is rain or shine & tickets are not required. Free admission includes all of the exhibits except the splash pad (this is closed for the season).
6. Red, White & Lights by Henrico County Parks & Recreation: Henrico's annual Fourth of July Celebration is back, and it will be at Meadow Farm this year. Come out at 4 to enjoy music, entertainment and food trucks! The Richmond Symphony will also be performing, and there will be a laser light show finale.
You can also find fireworks at Libbie Mill Midtown and Dogwood Dell this year! Richmond City officials will not allow seating inside Dogwood Dell, but you can watch the show from the lawn in front of the Carillon, and around Fountain Lake, Shields Lake and Swan Lake.
Looking for other ways to celebrate Independence Day weekend? Check out my blog on 5 local beaches.
Don't forget to tag @thewestendmom and #thewestendmom in your adventures! I love seeing all the fun your family has!